Classic Barbecue Baked Beans
Barbecue beans are a classic side dish for any backyard barbecue -- add brisket, burnt ends or rib meat and your house will be the envy of the neighborhood.
Makes: 20 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours and 45 minutes
- 1/2 cup dark rum or water
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 sweet Vidalia or Texas onion, chopped
- 1 red or green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 4-ounce can green chili peppers, chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 5 16-ounce cans KC Masterpiece® Baked Beans (any variety)
- 1/4 pound (about 2 cups) barbecue beef brisket, burnt ends or rib meat from your favorite barbecue joint or backyard barbecue leftovers
- 2 cups KC Masterpiece® Kansas City Classic Barbecue Sauce
- 1/4 cup water or beer
In a small bowl soak raisins in dark rum, or water, for 45 minutes to an hour.
Preheat the oven to 225°F.
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium to low heat. Add the onion and bell pepper. Cook covered for 13 to 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
Combine vegetables and remaining ingredients in an oven safe dish. Mix well.
Bake uncovered for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add 1/4 cup of water or beer, if necessary, to prevent the beans from drying out. Remove from oven, mix well and serve.Recipe created by sauce expert, Ardie Davis on behalf of KC Masterpiece® barbecue sauce.